Today's thriving solopreneurs have a lot to teach the rest of us about marketing. For one thing, they've perfected what I'm calling the magic marketing recipe:
Problem + Value + Solution + Proof = Magic Marketing
(It's not exactly a meclabs equation for landing page optimization. But my brain doesn't work that way.) I've noticed this pattern being utilized by more than one top solopreneur. But not so much by big brands, and especially not by b2b brands. Why not? If it's working for these people who are driving thousands of people to their solutions, why not use it for bigger brands, too?
Solve that with this.
We start out with a big beautiful headline that states a problem in the form of a promise. It might even suggest a dream come true. For example, if your problem is needing more traffic or more email addresses, or earning more money, or actually doing what you dream of, these solopreneurs will grab your attention by turning your problem into a can-do statement:
- Infinitely grow your traffic and email list with your new secret weapon: Pinterest. (Melyssa Griffin)
- The proven, step-by-step formula I used to personally earn 6 figures in just 12 months freelancing online. (Danny Margulies)
- Ready To Stop Dreaming & Start Doing? If You're a Female Entrepreneur Who Wants To Create A Lifestyle Business You'll Love...Watch This Video (Grace Lever)
After that big beautiful headline comes more exploration of the problems the audience is struggling with. This starts to clariy who the offer is meant for, and shows that the writer understands the reader -- it says (sometimes literally), 'I've been there, and I can solve your problem.' These usually include multiple statements, often in headline/paragraph format. That's way too much copy for me to include complete examples here. Here are some snippets:
- Frustrated by all the conflicting information. You’re sick of wasting time trying to research how to make your blog bloom. You keep hearing the same outdated, lame-sauce advice. You want something that will work NOW (not in 2009)....(Melyssa Griffin)
- There are two ways to make money on Upwork...One involves being chronically overworked and underpaid... (Danny Margulies)
- If you're truly a do-er who wants to learn how to build your own lifestyle business...A business that allows you to do what you love and are passionate about... If you want to learn my step-by-step, tried and tested process rather than getting sidetracked with trial and error...(Grace Lever)
Here's the value you can gain with this solution. These are the things you dream of. Because this is for you.
Much like the rule of describing features as benefits, here's where these solopreneurs describe the value you'll get from their solution. This isn't in terms of very detailed results or social proof -- hat comes later. It further clarifies who this is for and that they are just like you, except they've figured out what you haven't.
- Dramatically grow your traffic in less than ONE hour per week. (Melyssa Griffin)
- ...win more work, with less effort...get lots of repeat business from happy customers....charge -- and get -- higher prices. (Danny Margulies)
- A Global Adventure That Will Change Your Life Forever (Grace Lever)
Here's my solution. it'll bring you all that value I just mentioned, and solve the problem(s) that brought you here and kept you reading this far.
OK. We're finally getting to the heart of it. Exactly what is this thing that will change my life forever and make all of my dreams come true?
- Pinfinite Growth is my step-by-step course and community where I’ll teach you my highly effective Pinterest SYSTEM, so you can stop spinning on that hamster wheel and start growing your blog organically, authentically, and QUICKLY. #InNoTimeFlat.
- 25+ lessons (including 15+ hours of video and audio) packed with groundbreaking training
- Join Grace each week in Office Hours; Join our incredibly supportive Private Facebook community of do-ers!; Connect Face-to-Face with other do-ers in an Accountability...
Often, as the reader continues to scroll through the page, it will cycle back and forth between Problem, Value, Solution, and Proof. This includes increasingly detailed descriptions of what's offered in the solution. Because if you haven't been convinced to buy yet, you need more information.
It worked for me. Here's how. Here are the numbers.
It worked for these people. Here's how. Here's what they say about it. Here are the numbers.
Social proof is a powerful motivator. So these solopreneurs include not only their own results, but the smiling faces of other happy [real] people who've achieved similar results. And sometimes, a sub-message folded in to the social proof section is, "I know something other people don't know. and i'm offering it to you.
- Lydia said that she saw results from Pinfinite Growth "literally instantly." In ONE month her pageviews grew from 7,000 to 41,000. And within two months, her email list went from 27 to 700 subscribers. Lydia is now getting ready to launch her first e-course and turn her blog into her full-time business.
- The difference between this course and other books, videos, and paid trainings that claim to teach you how to make money on Upwork (and other freelancing sites) is that I've personally used this exact system to earn over $100,000 in just a single year.
- "The impact YOU and the Doing Academy have had on my business (and on me personally) has been A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. For the first time ever I've been able to look at my business with a fresh pair of eyes. I now really focus on my strengths, instead of beating myself up about the things I am not good at (like all the really really techy stuff.)"
So...what do you think? Are you tempted to try a landing page like this for your business?